- 5 lbs bone-in beef short ribs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 2 tbsp neutral oil, like safflower or canola
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup farmhouse ale
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 lemongrass stalk, lightly pounded
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
1) Preheat oven to 300.
2) Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season short ribs with salt and pepper, and add to Dutch oven. Brown short ribs on all sides, in batches if necessary. Remove short ribs and reserve. Spoon out all but 1 tbsp of rendered fat and discard.
3) Lower heat to medium and add garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add ale, soy sauce, brown sugar, lemongrass, and sesame oil. Bring to a simmer and add short ribs. Cover and place in oven, braising until short ribs are fall-apart tender, about 3 hours. Flip short ribs once during cooking.
4) Spoon off and discard any excess fat. Finish short ribs with sesame seeds and green onions.